The Function of the Penang State Town and Country Planning Department is:
- To act as the secretariat to the State Planning Committee (SPC).
- To carry out duties as the Registrar of Appeal Board.
- To assist in formulating and coordinating the implementation of planning policies.
- To assist in providing planning advisory services to the State Government and Local Authorities.
- To ensure the smoothness and effectiveness of the application of the Town and Country Planning Act 1976 (Act 172).
- To assist in the conduct of major State meetings.
- To enhance the level of efficiency, expertise, skills, and creativity among all levels of officers through a training program of at least 7 days per year.